Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Atlanta Teacher Accused of Assaulting 5th-grader, Has Prior Arrest Record

Rayburn McGuire

Atlanta Teacher Accused of Assaulting 5th-grader, Has Prior Arrest Record

The mother of a fifth grader at Seaborn Lee Elementary in Fulton County says her son accused his teacher Rayburn McGuire of assaulting him in class. The student, Gavyn Dabbs stated:
"He punched me in my chest. He said 'Come on, get up' and then I walked outside. He grabbed me by my collar and yanked me outside," said Gavyn. Gavyn said McGuire didn't stop there. "He asked, 'Why did you do that?' I said 'I don't know'. He said, 'Are you going to do it again?' I said 'no'. Then I walked back in the classroom. I was about to sit back down in my chair and he pushed my head down. I hit the floor and then I got up and laughed so I wouldn't cry," said Gavyn.
The mother did a little investigating on McGuire.
"I just Googled his name and an article on the AJC (Atlanta Journal Constitution) popped up. Is stated bond was denied for post-funeral shooter. Oh my goodness!" Dabbs said. In February McGuire was arrested and charged with shooting his cousin. Fulton County Schools hired him in October.
  Upon the release of this information a Fulton County Schools spokeswoman Susan Hale emailed this statement:
"This is a serious allegation and one that our school district does not take lightly. The employee has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation."
McGuire has been placed on administrative leave by the district after inquires were made about his arrest record. The spokeswoman stated his past arrest didn't show up on McGuire's background check, which he passed, because the charges against him were dropped. McGuire's attorney said the charges were dropped because he shot his cousin in self-defense. This is still a shame because the teacher clearly has an anger problem.
CBS Atlanta News

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More